Hajj in Islam
Hajj in Islam is the pilgrimage of Muslims to the city of Mecca in a specific season every year, and it has certain rituals called the rituals of Hajj, and it is a once-in-a-lifetime duty for every able-bodied adult Muslim. It is the fifth pillar of Islam, as the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, said: “Islam is built on five: testifying that there is no god but God and that Muhammad is the Messenger of God, establishing prayer, paying zakat, fasting Ramadan, and pilgrimage to the House for whoever can afford it.” Every adult Muslim is capable of what is mentioned in the Qur’an: (ence,[O Muhammad,] proclaim thou unto all people the [duty of] pilgrimage: coming from every far-away point [on earth])
When does it start?
The rituals of Hajj begin on the eighth of the month of Dhu al-Hijjah, with the pilgrim entering ihram from the specified times of Hajj, then heading to Makkah to perform the circumambulation of arrival, then heading to Mina to spend the day of al-Tarwiyah, then going to Arafah to spend the day of Arafah, after that the pilgrim throws the stones at Jamrat al-Aqaba al-Kubra And the pilgrim returns to Makkah to perform the tawaf al-Ifadah, then returns to Mina to spend the days of al-Tashreeq, and the pilgrim returns again to Makkah to perform the farewell circumambulation and leave the holy places.
The virtue of Hajj:
- One of the best deeds and closeness to Allah
The Messenger of God, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, was asked: Which work is better? He said: “Faith in God and His Messenger.” It was said: Then what? Jihad for the sake of Allah said”. It was said: “Then what?” He said: “An accepted Hajj.”
- An accepted Hajj pilgrimage is a reason for forgiveness of sins.
Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (may Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Whoever performs Hajj and does not commit obscenity or commit any evil therein will go back (free of sin) as on the day his mother gave birth to him.”
- The frequent Hajj and Umrah banish poverty.
The Messenger of Allah said: “Alternate between Hajj and Umrah; for those two remove poverty and sins just as the bellows removes filth from iron, gold, and silver – and there is no reward for Al-Hajj Al-Mabrur except for Paradise.”
Types of Hajj
According to the nature of the rituals, Hajj is divided into three types:
- The Hajj of Tamattu’: It is: to take Umrah before Hajj, and to dissociate themselves between them. Its name is “enjoyment” because the pilgrim enjoys the prohibitions of ihram between Hajj and Umrah.
- Hajj Al-Ifrad: is to do the work of Hajj only, then perform Umrah after completing the rituals of Hajj if he wants, and he is forbidden to perform Umrah at that time from the slightest solution.
- Hajj of the Qiran: According to him, he enters ihram with Umrah and Hajj together, or with Umrah, then Hajj enters it before he begins its work, then he performs the work of Hajj in both forms.
And the best one is ifrad hajj.
Good news for those who are unable to perform Hajj
And the Muslim has the right to take advantage of the reward of the pilgrim; The Messenger of God, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, said: “Whoever prays the dawn prayer in congregation, then sits remembering God until the sun rises, then prays two rak’ahs, that will be for him the reward of a complete Hajj and Umrah, complete, complete.”